- I am a foreigner. Can I incorporate a company in the USA?
- What kind of information do I need to open an entity?
- What is the best kind of entity for me?
- Can I open an S-Corp, or be taxed as an S-Corp?
- Is an ITIN included?
- What do I need for my EIN?
- Will Incfile open a bank account for us?
- Can I use the virtual address as my address in the USA (I don't have an address in the USA)
- Can I be my own registered agent?
- How much time until I get my EIN?
- How long will it take for the formation to be finished?
- The form will not allow me to put my foreign address in the contact fields.
- How does the virtual address work as a foreigner?
- Do you speak my language?
- How do I get started?
1. Can a foreign person open an entity in the USA?
Yes, someone who is not a US citizen can be the owner of a US entity.
2. What kind of information do I need to open an entity?
Basic information including but not limited to the company name, company address, owner's name, owner's address, contact information.
3. What is the best kind of entity for me?
You would need to talk to a business advisor. Incfile can not tell what specific entity type is the best for your specific needs.
4. Can I open an S-Corp, or be taxed as an S-Corp?
A foreign-owned company can not apply for S-Corp status.
5. Is an ITIN included?
No, an ITIN is an individual taxpayer ID. We can not help getting identification numbers for individual people.
6. What do I need for my EIN?
On the order page, if you want Incfile to obtain your company's EIN you must indicate that you are a foreigner and do not have a Social Security Number (SSN). To obtain the EIN for your company, Incfile will require the owner's name and the company's address within the USA. This can not be a virtual address, mail forwarding service, or a P.O. Box. A US company must be in the US. This is a requirement
7. Will Incfile open a bank account for us?
Incfile can not open a bank account on behalf of a company. Incfile has a partnership with Bank of America, but Incfile can not guarantee that Bank of America will open a bank account. You will need to contact their bank of choice to see if they can be accommodated.
8. Can I use the virtual address as my address on the EIN (I don't have an address in the USA)
No, the company MUST have a physical address registered with the IRS within the USA in order for the entity to be a US entity.
9. Can I be my own registered agent?
The registered agent must have an address within the state of formation. The registered agent must be available at that address during normal work hours (9-5) on normal business days (Monday - Friday). If you do not meet these requirements you can not be your own registered agent.
10. How much time until I get my EIN?
Once the application for the EIN has been signed, Incfile will fax that information directly to the IRS. Incfile will then upload a fax receipt to the client dashboard. The foreign EIN must be approved manually by the IRS. This process could take anywhere between 4-6 weeks.
11. How long will it take for the formation to be finished?
Please use the link below to view state formation times. If there are any holds or rejections this will obviously lengthen the processing time.
12. The form will not allow me to put my foreign address in the contact fields.
In the contact fields please place your entire address in the street field. The state should be set to Texas. The zip code should be set to 00000. If you have an address outside of the USA as your contact address, Incfile can not send any documents to that address. This includes a corporate kit, physical paperwork, and virtual address mail.
13. How does the virtual address work as a foreigner?
As an individual outside of the USA, the virtual address can be used on the state paperwork as the company and owner's address. The virtual address can not be used on the EIN. Incfile will open, sort, and scan any important pieces of mail that come into that address. If you do not have an address within the USA, Incfile will not forward any mail to that international address. You will need to provide 2 forms of identification and have a form notarized in order to give permission to Incfile to handle the mail. This virtual address is for the main purpose of keeping the owner's personal information off the public record.
14. Do you speak my language?
Incfile currently only gives technical support in English.
15. How do I get started?